Cold sores embarrassing, contagious, painful, and very visible on your lip or around your mouth. There are some very effective home remedies for cold sores that can be applied during the onset of a flare-up and we outline the top six most effective natural treatment.
Cold sores are caused by the virus called Herpes Simplex Virus Type I (HSV-1) which you can contract at any point in your life and most contract it during childhood. Once contracted, the virus sits on a nerve and can be dormant for many years. For others, it is a reason for recurrent cases.
A quick word about canker versus cold sores: canker sores occur inside your mouth while cold sores are normally around your lip area and occur outside your mouth.
Stress is the biggest reason for onset of cold sores. Other reasons may include hormonal changes in your body such as menstruation and pregnancy, excessive alcohol consumption, lack of nutrients which causes immune deficiency, and other illnesses. Certain types of foods can either help or worsen your condition.
Here are our top six tips to treating your cold sores naturally:
1. Take a therapeutic dose of an amino acid supplement called L-lysine as soon as you feel the tingling sensation of a cold sore coming. Take 1500-2000 g a day for about 3 days.
2. licorice rootis a very effective remedy, it has the active ingredient lisyrisic acid and acid blocks the viral growth. Don’t confuse this with licorice candy. You can get licorice tea or take it as a supplement. Licorice root is a very effective cleansing natural remedy but there are some precautions to take – please don’t take if you are pregnant and definitely limit the amount to about 2-4 grams a day. Most tea bags are about 2 grams. And if you don’t like the taste of licorice in general, then skip this recommendation all together.
3. You can make a tea from lemon balm by taking 1 tablespoon of lemon balm and pouring some boiling water over it. You can drink this as often as you like and should drink it throughout the day as soon as you feel the signs of the cold sore coming. Don’t use lemon balm powder because it has been processed too much and won’t give you the same benefit.
4. Crushed garlic is amazing, leave it for 30 min at a time on the sore.
5. The number one natural, homeopathic ointment for cold sores is Canker-Rid, it is by far the best natural treatment for canker sores, mouth sores as well as mouth ulcers. It is made from Durham’s proprietary blend of bee products with resin made from tree bark and leaves, nectar, wax, pollen, bee bread to form Propolis. This Propolis is a source of bioflavonoids, amino acids, and an protects against infections. Be careful with the liquid, it is very fluid and can stain.
In ancient times, honey was used to dress wounds to help fight bacteria so it makes sense that the number one natural treatment for cold sores is Durham’s Canker-Rid ointment made of propolis. This works better than getting a prescription from your doctor and is completely natural.
6. Tea tree oil works great on cold sores. Essential oils are concentrated and can be skin irritants for some people so you mix a few drops of tea tree oil in a teaspoon of olive oil and do a skin test to make sure your skin is ok. Apply this directly on the cold sore. It should help to dry the sore and cut down healing time.
Besides our top 6 home remedies for cold sores, here are some tips to help youend these nasty bumps from your lips:
1. You might be deficient in Vitamin B so take a vitamin B supplement and eat foods rich in this vitamin such as oats, turkey, brazil nuts, bananas, potatoes, avocados, kefir, and legumes. Completely avoid peanuts and chocolate.
2. Icing the area can be helpful. The virus hates cold and dry environment and loves wet and warm environment.
3. Really try to focus on strengthening your immune system. Eat a diet rich in vitamin and minerals and you can take some herbs and supplements to really help your immune system. Reishi mushroom, Echinacea, and astragalus root are three powerhouses for immune system support.
You don’t need prescription and over the counter drugs for your cold sores. The above remedies are far more effective, try them out and see what works for you best. Wishing you all the best with getting rid of those awful cold sores forever.
Please leave a any comment or feedback, I would love to hear from you!
Incoming search terms:
- dr oz cold sore home remedy propolis
- natural remedy onset cold sore
- which remedy is better for cold sores? licorice root or tea trea oil?
Tags: cold sore home remedies, cold sore natural remedies, cold sore remedy, fever blisters, home remedies for cold sores, home remedies for fever blisters, how to get rid of cold sores fast, lysine for cold sores, natural remedies for cold sores